Skip to main content

Drum-roll please...

If you haven't heard yet, I'm going on a trip this summer. Take a guess where it's to: a. Seattle, b. Korea, c. Vietnam, d. Hong kong.

Drumroll please...all of the above! 

My friend and I signed up to join a Global Community Leadership trip to vietnam with Youthlinc. We'll be teaching story telling conferences and visiting with people to write narratives that share their stories. I'm really excited to have the chance to do leadership, service, and work towards my degree in such a beautiful place. 

Seattle and Korea are just layovers, but I'm adding Korea to my list of countries visited (if I touch the ground there it counts, even of it's only for 4 hours). We even added a couple of extra days to go to Hong Kong (❤❤❤) because I lived there as a missionary a million years ago but haven't had the chance to go back. My 12 year-old is jealous she can't go with us so she's starting to save money to go on a humanitarian trip with Youthlinc to Fiji in a few years. 

But even though these are amazing opportunities, service shouldn't wait for exotic locations. One thing I've learned through my job is that there are a lot of people facing the same social issues right here. According to the Utah Food Bank, 1 in 7 kids is hungry in Utah, for example. So there's plenty of service that we can do with our children here when we can't fly off to serve on the other side of the world.
Photo by Warren Wong on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words from the (kid) President

I love this guy! I like to show this video to students to inspire them and break down what service really is. And you get to dance at the end, so what else can I say? Thanks SoulPancake for being so clever and entertaining, and putting life in perspective. See their Youtube channel for more of the good stuff  https://www.youtube.com/user/soulpancake .

Pin It Up!

Who doesn't like to have the hard work done for them? For that very reason, I've made a list of service ideas for you! Lot's of lists actually, such as service for: animals the elderly teens holidays groups parties random acts of service Check out my Kids Learning Service Pinterest board to find links to some amazing service ideas for kids. (I can't take credit for the ideas, other than I put them in one spot, for which you're welcome)

They've Got My Back

This is a cool article from the Parents Magazine blog that talks about benefits for children when they serve, as well as gives some ideas for serving. Thought I'd share. Also I thought I'd share a picture of my "baby" when we made and handed out burritos with the Burrito Project  (this one is in Salt Lake City, but the organization is found throughout the U.S.) to people who are homeless. She didn't want to get out of the car to hand them out, but since I wasn't about to leave her alone in the car across the street from the city bus depot, I made her come along. She did great and even commented on how grateful the people that we gave the burritos to were.     Volunteer With Your Kids     https://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/style/volunteer-with-your-kids/