Skip to main content

Chop It, Rapunzel!

Picture it: students (and a few adults) lined up in front of a school assembly. Their ponytails are cut off in sync, and there's suddenly a group of volunteers with short hair standing in front of hundreds of people, and dozens of ponytails are donated to Wigs for Kids to be made into wigs for children with cancer. Every year, this assembly kicks off a spring of cancer awareness and fundraising.  

Gemma has been growing her hair out all year to donate at the assembly next month. By last week she couldn't handle her hair anymore, but still wanted to donate it. Imagine her delight when I told her that we could get it cut now and send it in to Wigs for Kids OURSELVES! Friday was the big day...she donated 12 inches and loves to run her fingers through hair that isn't all tangled.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They've Got My Back

This is a cool article from the Parents Magazine blog that talks about benefits for children when they serve, as well as gives some ideas for serving. Thought I'd share. Also I thought I'd share a picture of my "baby" when we made and handed out burritos with the Burrito Project  (this one is in Salt Lake City, but the organization is found throughout the U.S.) to people who are homeless. She didn't want to get out of the car to hand them out, but since I wasn't about to leave her alone in the car across the street from the city bus depot, I made her come along. She did great and even commented on how grateful the people that we gave the burritos to were.     Volunteer With Your Kids     https://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/style/volunteer-with-your-kids/

Words from the (kid) President

I love this guy! I like to show this video to students to inspire them and break down what service really is. And you get to dance at the end, so what else can I say? Thanks SoulPancake for being so clever and entertaining, and putting life in perspective. See their Youtube channel for more of the good stuff  https://www.youtube.com/user/soulpancake .

The BIG Question!

I'm a mom. I've stood in the checkout line with kids having meltdowns, trying to stop the cart in the aisles, refusing to go somewhere, let alone do service, and have carried a toddler and a heavy box of food from the Food Bank one flight at a time because I wanted to teach my kids to serve. So why do we do all of this? Because of who our kids (and even us adults) can become. It also can help who they (and we) are today: health, happiness, and skill-wise. After I've convinced you with all of the good reasons below, visit my Pinterest page for kid-friendly ideas, or comment below with what kind of service you're looking for and I'll brainstorm for you. https://infographicjournal.com/5-benefits-of-volunteering/